James Baldwin, a civil rights activist, born in Harlem, New York in 1924, tackled the social injustices with his talent in writing. “Going to Meet the Man,” the last short story in one published compilation of work also titled “Going to Meet the Man,” was composed somewhere in the 1950’s and 1960’s and finally published in 1965. In order to understand this story you have to have a feel for where the writer was coming from. Now, the battle against black oppression had been going on long before Baldwin targeted the issue with his short story. If you recall from your high school U.S. history class, the 15th amendment was ratified in 1870. As we all know, and as Baldwin did, too, the ratified amendment didn’t really grant ALL black men the right to vote. On the surface, Baldwin addresses this particular inequality (voting privileges), but he also says a whole lot more. When the Jim Crow laws (enacting a "separate but equal" conditions for African Americans) began being challenged (as in infamous instances such as Rosa Park's stand and Brown vs. Board of Education), much of the white Southern population answered with violence, oftentimes by beating, humiliating, and lynching innocent black citizens. In the context of "Going to Meet the Man," the main character, a white southern male named Jesse, is agitated by the people who are rioting for equality in voting, and perhaps more importantly, by the direction the U.S. is moving towards for equal freedoms.
We chose to use “The Method: Working with Patterns of Repetition and Contrast” in exploring this work simply because there’s a great deal of, you guessed it, repetition and contrast. We counted the word "light” 26 times. Double that number and you get the amount of synonyms and allusions to light. Meanwhile, the opposing force of light, darkness, occurs less frequently, but the synonyms and allusions to darkness are more than abundant (i.e. "nigger"). The light/dark binary opposition is pretty consistent with society's portrayal of light/dark: light is good and dark is bad. On page 236, Jesse's thought process creates a metaphor of his life: "drowning in niggers;" Jesse is drowning in darkness, an abyss of a hole in which he cannot escape, which parallels the way he feels about his life. He feels as if he cannot escape this "darkness," or specifically, black people. In fact, the word "nigger" is repeated quite often, and is arguably a motif. In contrast, the light imagery seems to correlate with white people. In Jesse's flashback of his first lynching, the morning is described as bright and glorious. In fact, there's not a single sign of darkness around, including black people; on that day, everything was white: the black church was dead-white...not a single black person was spotted. There are a few instances where the light/dark contrast is different, and quite frankly, very ironic. Looking at the story as a whole, it is easily seen that white man is dark inside (inflicting torture and beatings), while the black man is white inside (singing to God and the owners of the only church referenced in the story): the cruelty of the whites reach an atrocious level, while the blacks are depicted as saintly martyrs (Braveheart, anyone?). From here we can begin to make deductions about the intentions of Baldwin in writing this piece and his interpretation of the mind of a 60's southern white man.
Lastly, before you begin tackling this story let us leave you with one last hint: search for some other of the abundant similarities and contrast in the text, particularly events that explore the past and present, as well as instances that connect sex and power.
Love and Kisses,
Sam, Bruce, and Jenn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Excellent introductory post. I like how your first paragraph gives a very broad contextualization. Instead of just addressing the Civil Rights era, you take it back to the founding Jim Crow, which is what the story itself does as well.
ReplyDeleteYour use of the "Method" is also very well executed. It really points to a theme working in the story and gives the reader something to look for.
Before I react to the story, I’d like to give props to Jenn, Sam and Bruce for going first and providing such a great analysis and setting the context under which the story was written. I felt like I already knew the story and had a good understanding of what to expect before reading. While I read the story, I was absolutely freaked out by the violence! I am the biggest sissy girl who always covers my eyes when watching a scary/gory movie so it took a lot for me to finish this story (Although I’m going to be honest, I skim read the castration part). Burning people alive is one of the most painful forms of torture and to an extent it’s embarrassing to be part of race that practiced such behaviors. Jesse was too young to stop anything so I can’t really blame him person. However, throughout the story, I just wanted to punch him in the face because of his derogatory attitude. He was a cocky jerk who tried to use his wife to make his erotic dream become a reality. Jesse is truly looking for direction and affirmation that he is a good man throught chaos. Once his time of reflection was over and he was ready to have “dirty, nigger sex with Grace,” time was up and a new day was beginning. I’m not sure if I’d call this ironic or not but it definitely put a twist on ending and made me laugh. I’ll probably be alone on this one since our class is made up of mostly boys-but I’m actually glad he didn’t “get any.”
ReplyDeleteI really like how the group contrasted light/dark in the story. I was amazed to see how Baldwin made every aspect of the story so brightful the day the people executed the black man. The group did a great job of explaining this aspect of the story. It makes me sick to think that people had this mind-set about another race, and to think it is the norm to humiliate and kill another human being. Jesse is influenced at a young age to have this mind-set about African Americans, and like his dad said, "you wasn't never going to forget this picnic." Jesse never did forget the picnic, and he continued to live his life believing he was superior to another race. I am glad that Grace stuck to her guns and did not give in to Jesse pressuring her to have sex with him. This shows one example of a person in the story not being influenced by others and sticking to his/her guns.
ReplyDeleteThe light and dark in this story was very in depth and could be tackled from a lot of different view points, like how this group choose to say that the whites were black inside and the blacks were white inside. I think that was kind of a hard thing to really dig into and explain but they did a good job of making to easy for the rest of us to make sense of. But light and dark weren't the only things compared in the story, sex and power was shown indirectly through the castration scene and Jesse trying to get some. Basically it played out that the black man who was being tortured wasn't touched by anyone until someone came and chopped off his junk, then the crowd swarmed on his powerless body and beat the hell out of him and caught him on fire. Then we go over to when Jesse was in bed trying to have "nigger sex" with his wife, and to me the language was a bit confusing but it seems that he never did get to have sex with her, so in a sense he never gets to exert his power over the "blacks." I would say past and present were also shown by how things were changing and Jesse was trying to keep them like they were back when the people he looked up to were in charge. That whole aspect never jumped out to me too much but the light and dark was a great contrast in this story.
ReplyDeleteThe group did a good job with getting me acclimated with the story, but nothing would have prepared me for that read! Beside the fact that this story is one of the most violent stories I have ever read, it also invoked the most response out of me. The response I had was to shake the life out of the main character, Jessie. It was hard to read about how right he thought it was to hate a race of people and believe he was so much better than them. The group also got me thinking about how the whites were dark inside and the blacks were light inside. I am not sure I would have made that connection on my own. I guess I was a little confused on the ending. The other bloggers were glad Grace did not have sex with Jessie, but my take on it was that Jessie forced himself onto Grace and raped her just before the morning came.
ReplyDeleteOkay soo first of all.. this blog was really really good.. I really don't think I would have even looked at the story that way (comparing light vs dark) unless I had read their post first. Now onto the story.. did anyone else read this and say WTF was this guy thinking.. I know in class Blake told us that he analyzes lynching by putting himself in that persons shoes so that's what I tried to do when reading this. This is what I came up with, this Jesse character came from a messed up home with messed up parents and the story led me to believe that he was a product of their craziness.. not necessarily his own. I'm thinking he learned to enjoy watching the torturing of black people through his parents.. and maybe they in turn learned it from their parents and its a vicious cycle? I got this from the reading because at one point he mentioned he had a black friend as a kid..before he witnessed the burning of the black man..and then it all changed after he was forced to watch. I guess I don't really blame Jesse as much as I feel extremely sorry for him.. is that messed up...?
ReplyDeleteActually i think I counted the word "light" 27 times tsk tsk tsk. Haha just kidding. You guys did a great job setting the stage for that story. Though like Austen said nothing could have fully prepared me for that story. When I started reading it I wasn't sure how to feel. I actually had to think about how I felt about it. I finally began to feel a sense of fear. I found it very scary that there was once and still is people that really think like that. It is so hard to believe that someone could actually have that much hate in their heart. It also makes me think that if there were/are white people that hate black people that much then why couldn't it be reversed? Are there people out there that hate white people that much? Would they kill me if they had the chance? It's scary to think about. This story also reminded me of another story that I have come accross called Night, by Elie Wiesel. This is a memoir of the final year of the holocaust, a year that the author spent in Auschwitz, believed to be the worst of all the german concentration camps during WWII. This was also a very graphic story that showed the hate of others. Even though these stories are graphic, scary, or awful, we need them. We need them to remind ourselves of the past. Stories like these remind us of how awful hate can be. They keep us from repeating the mistakes that were made in history. That is why stories like these exist. Not to make us fearful or disgusted. They are there to make us remember.
ReplyDeleteLike everyone else first off I would like to give props to the first group . . I really liked that they picked repetition and contrast for their topic because I don’t think I would have noticed it as much had I not read their blog first. When the writer uses the word light I feel like it had a deeper meaning like maybe the light of purity and innocence or even further more the light of god. As Jessie listened to the black folk sing I thought it was interesting that he thought they were singing to god for him too, for his mercy and forgiveness. To me this shows that Jessie somewhere inside knows what he is doing is wrong in the eyes of god. I find myself pitying Jessie. I honestly believe that Jessie did not want to let this hatred rule his life and was overcome by darkness (“nigger”) that he could not escape. This hatred was instilled in him as a child and only grew stronger as he aged. Jessie’s high level of anxiety was very noticeable in the story, he was unable to sleep and his thoughts would ramble on. I noticed that at the beginning of the story Jessie said that he had thought he heard a car coming up the gravel drive and it was again mentioned again at the end of the story. It makes me think Jessie was constantly worried that someone was coming after him.
ReplyDeleteI actually read the story before the blog. The group made me realize some things and I read the story over again. I noticed the light and darkness theme but I did not see how often it showed up. I remember Jesse thinking that he was a good man but he beat up a black person. I did not pay attention to the empty church or the lack of "darkness" on that morning the first time I read. Is Jesse a bad man? His parent taught him it was okay to hate black people but he is no longer a child.
ReplyDeleteI think the group used a good method to interpret the story. I would have never thought of the story being light and dark even though it is mentioned a great deal. Also I agree with the black people being dark and the white people being light because every time the story mentioned something about a black person it seemed really dark. The worst part of the story was definitely the ending. How could a group of people make a picnic over a man being tortured and killed? It’s also disturbing that after the man’s private parts were cut off the crowed joined in with knives and stones. I think that Jesse as a kid didn’t know why black people were hated so Otis was his friend and his parents didn’t like that so they kept him from Otis and took him to that picnic. Jesse turned out the way he did because his parents influenced him in a bad way.
ReplyDeleteThis story is disturbing, shocking, embarrassing for the white race, and absolutely necessary. I did not notice the light and dark allusions as prominently as the presentation of Jesse's sadistic sexuality. He wants power, he wants rough sex, he wants to feel superiority and have a sense of control. He is completely sexually bored with his wife, admitting that his wife is not always able to give him what he wants. The thought of sex with a black woman a most exciting thought to him, so exciting that he is both aroused and pained by it. He also admits to raping a black woman, which he thinks that "any other man" would do. Jesse experiences a similar excitement from beating and electrocuting the black man, the same "peculiar" feeling of joy from the fantasy of "nigger sex". I believe that this all goes back to his father, thinking that partaking in racism will lead to the ultimate father-son bond. His father created the illusion of "light and darkness", "black versus white", "us against them", and it had been permanently instilled in Jesse.
ReplyDeleteThe blog was very well written. I found the light and dark aspect of the story interesting. The story was obviously very violent and graphic. Jesse, in my opinion was corrupted by his parents, but he really took the violence to the next level, so some of the hatred could have been natural. It is difficult to imagine someone having so much pointless hatred toward a group of people that they could actually do so many terrible and painful things to them. The writers of the blog noticed many metaphors and etc. that I probably wouldnt have initially such as where he is "drowning in niggers/darkness". or where the white people are black inside and black people are white inside. Overall, the blog was really good.
ReplyDeleteI think the first group definitely did a great job on our first blog. Reading the blog before the story really helped me make sense of the contrast between dark and light. Obviously the contrast is there because the basis of the story is the discrimination of blacks, but the group opened my eyes to many other allusions to these concepts throughout the story. They also mentioned how the morning of Jesse's first lynching was a glorious day where everything was white and there was "no sign of darkness" I thought of this as possibly foreshadowing the incredible event to follow. The days pure brightness and absence of darkness symbolizes the absence of darkness after the lynching as the whites are trying to purify their community of blacks. Just an idea I had, but this story was definitely a mind blower showing how brutal a race can be towards another, and to think that it was our race doing it not too long ago.
ReplyDeleteWow that was a great introductory post. The group brought a lot of concepts and ideas out of the story that I had missed or hadn't thought of, so props to that. The light/dark concept used throughout the story was one I probably wouldn't have picked up on if it wasn't for reading this post. This story was very graphic and leads us on a journey through the mind of Jesse, which personally, I found disturbing. I just feel totally disconnected from the story because I cannot even relate to how much hate they have for black people during that time period. Although I do know that society as a whole was a great influence in letting everybody hate on the black race. What made me feel uncomfortable was the fact that Jesse's parents were the main reason why Jesse became so opposed to black people. He was just a naive young boy, who had no problem with the black people to begin with. The whole lynching is what corrupted Jesse's mindset for the rest of his life.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your analysis of “The Method: Working with Patterns of Repetition and Contrast.” However, I disagree with your opinion of society’s image of light and dark. You said society thinks light to be good and darkness to be bad. This is true in the sense that light enables us to see and perform all of our daily functions necessary to live. I disagree if you are making a reference to color. I believe there to be three groups of people out there. The first group says light is good and dark is bad. This group probably consists of white people. The second group says dark is good and light is bad. This group probably consists of black people. The third group says there is equality among all men, and this group consists of both black and white people. So, depending on where one is, society in Harlem, New York may say dark is good and light is bad. Society in Palmdale, California may say light is good and dark is bad. Even more, society in Columbus, Ohio may say there is equality among all men. Society varies so much in the United States that it is very difficult, and sometimes impossible to make a generalization about such a specific topic. Light and dark is like yes or no; a 50/50 topic no matter what time period it may be discussed. I believe in today’s society more people have transferred to the middle group (equality among all men).
ReplyDeleteThat was incredible how they came up with so many concepts and ideas from the story. I would never have picked up on the light/dark reference myself. Especially with the story being told in a different sort of perspective, I feel it would only make it harder to pick up on this. I also feel that Jesse was far too young and unable to understand what was really going on to a certain extent. I feel the impact someone's childhood can have on them in cases similar to this are so horrifying and terrible. This story was a definite shocker and its scary to think that this occurred not so long ago, in a world just slightly different from where we are now.
ReplyDelete